In a study published by the Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health on Feb. 4, 2013, chiropractic care was shown to improve the quality of life for pregnant patients by addressing pregnancy-related complaints and to some extent ‘wellness care’.
We recommends that all pregnant women be under chiropractic care. Chiropractic care includes gentle spine and pelvic adjustments, muscle work, ligament release and providing simple tools such as tips for maintaining proper pelvic posture and gentle stretches. When working with pregnant women the focus is on the pelvis with the intention to restore proper joint biomechanics, eliminate nerve interference and normalize muscle tone and function to create an easier and more enjoyable pregnancy and birth process.
Regular chiropractic adjustments have been shown to:
- Help maintain and support pregnancy
- Help you remain active throughout your pregnancy
- Reduce the need for pain medication during pregnancy by 50%
- Release in-utero constraint, facilitating the turning of breech babies
- Be safe for mother and baby
During the labour and birth process chiropractic care has been shown to:
- Shorten labour time by 25 to 60 percent
- Reduce the incidence of back labour
- Reduce the amount of pain medication during labour
- Help make delivery more comfortable
- Improve your recovery from childbirth
For more information regarding chiropractic care during pregnancy visit the ICPA website.
For more information regarding Breech Positioning & the Webster Technique, we recommend this article by Pathways To Family Wellness